Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Weekly Budget Spreadsheet

I have just published at mock Weekly Budget Spreadsheet on Google Spreadsheets that I use. This is not the exact spreadsheet that I use but it has the basic principles that I have incorporated into the actual one. For example, my personal spreadsheet is full of colors and includes some other line items. In the future I will update this spreadsheet to reflect the actuall look of mine.

Please note that the numbers used in this spreadsheet are completely made up and it assumes that I am being paid weekly.

As you will see, I budget on a weekly basis. I find it easier to control my money on a weekly rather than on a monthly basis. This allows me to tweak the budget when needed each week.

One thing you will notice is that I have assumed that there are only 4 Saturdays (this is the day that I work on my budget each week) in each month. If you look a a calander, you will notice that there are 4 months that acutally have 5 Saturdays. This year those months will be March, June, September & December. Since I am paying my monthly bills based upon a 4 week month, I will essentially be earning an "extra" paycheck 4 times during the year. If you are paid every other week, you would want to divide your bills by 2. You would then have 2 "extra" pay periods per year. If you are paid monthly (I was actually paid monthly while I was a teacher in North Carolina...what a pain in the butt!) then you know what to do.

You can do whatever you want with your "extra" paychecks. Sometimes I put them towards my debt reduction and other times I use them for larger items that I need such as home improvements. Once in a while I will just blow the money and have fun. It all depends on how I am feeling and what is happening in my life at that time.

Should you have any questions regarding this spreadsheet, you can post them as comments and I will reply as soon as I can. I hope you enjoy.

No comments: